Tuesday 24 April 2012

My blog obsession

Since starting to seriously think about sewing my own clothes, I have
become obsessed by blogs! There are so many talented and creative people
out there making clothes that really inspire me to have a go. And many of
them are incredibly generous with their time and knowledge - putting up
free tutorials for newbies like me to learn from!

The first blog I followed regularly was KitschyCoo, on recommendation of a
friend. Amanda makes and sells lovely kids clothes, patterns and fabric.
She also inspired me to start this blog!

As I love retro and vintage style, I really enjoy Gertie's posts. She has
fantastic style. Also on a vintage tip, Tilly and the Buttons is great - I
can't believe how productive she is in her sewing! Lladybird also seems to
produce a constant stream of lovely things.

It's also great to have some people in the UK who don't know what freezer
paper is or have a local JoAnn's to head to for a seemingly endless supply
of cheap patterns and great fabric - Tilly mentioned above, Miss P, Didyoumakethat?,  and A Sewing Odyssey

And then there's the mummy bloggers who are squeezing in sewing around
their families and jobs - Rae, M is for Make, Kitschy Coo, Made, crafterhours and skirt as top

The thing I like best about blogs is the sense of community - a lot of them
have their own pattern ranges and other bloggers support these independent
pattern makers over the Big 4 (Vogue, Butterick, McCalls, Simplicity). My
favourites are Colette (of course!), KitschyCoo, Victory Patterns, Sewaholic, Salme.

I also really love the events that spread across a number of blogs - One
Week One Pattern, Me Made May etc. I thought I was too much of a newbie
without enough sewn garments behind me to take part, but I have decided to
attempt Colette's Spring Palette Challenge! I'm sure it will take me the
spring and quite a bit of the summer to get many things made, but hopefully
it will inspire me to get on with things and learn lots of new techniques!
Now I just need to get started on that moodboard...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!