Saturday 19 May 2012

The holiday clothes sweatshop

So we are off on holiday to Sardinia a week tomorrow (woohoo!).  As soon as we booked it a few weeks ago, I realised that N has no summer clothes that fit - she is basically a leggy giraffe of a child and all of last years summer skirts and dresses are verging on indecent unless worn over leggings.  SHe loves the look but it's not the greatest idea in hot weather.

I had a couple of patterns that I was planning to make and plenty of fabric from the big Fabricland sale day raid, so I got started.

Apologies in advance for crappy picture quality - by the time we got around to these photos, it wasn't really warm enough to do them outside, hence the graininess!

The best pattern so far has been McCalls 6022.  It's got loads of variations and I'm pretty sure I'll still make other tops and possibly the cropped trousers.

First of all the cap sleeve dress with hem band:

Fabric is one I bought from Ditto Fabrics in Brighton.  N picked it out as she loves the tiny little ladybirds.  I paired it with a plain cotton as I thought it was busy enough.

From the same pattern, 2 pairs of shorts (these are apparently dancing shorts rather than standing in a weird pose like the other pics!):


The bright pink gingham fabric and the pastel madras check (originally a quilt cover) were both thrifted (I'm nicking the American term - sounds much better than "found in a charity shop!").

I also went crazy with Oliver + S free patterns.  I love the Lazy Days skirt as it sews up so quickly and it really easy to make.  The ribbon hem finishes it off so nicely!

This one was a remnant I picked up in Glasgow with my mum:

I love the Michael Miller Just Stay Little fabric and I couldn't decide what to use it for - I think this is my favourite of the skirts!


Another choice by N - flip flop fabric from Fabricland.  Really like how the turquoise ribbon sets it off so well.

And finally the Popover dress from Oliver + S.  Their patterns are always so clear and easy to follow.

This was in the Russian Dolls cotton print N picked out to match her friend Milly, with blue cotton yoke and straps and some yellow ricrac peeping through on the front.

Exhausted after that lot!  Hoping to fit in another Sorbetto before I go away as I have a gorgeous floral print for it.  But I am working on the fitting from the last one ( I have even made a muslin to try and get a better idea of the alterations I will need) so no idea if I will finish before I go away!  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!