Wednesday 14 November 2012

Finished - Anise Jacket

 
I actually finished this weeks ago but visiting relatives/ school holidays/ dark evening and rushed mornings have conspired against getting photos of it until now!
 
It was a lot of work, but totally worth it as I learnt such a lot - bound buttonholes, welt pockets, lining a jacket, loads of handsewing.
 
I absolutely love the colour - it cheers me up every day!  (Not that you'd know it from my face in this pic - WTF is that all about?).  As with all Colette patterns, the instructions are really clear and the jacket went together just as instructed.  I bought the Anise Companion too, most of which was used in the online details in the sewalong, and it was great to have such clear pictures in front of me to study as I was working on it.
 
 
The fit is great - it's really comfortable with no pulling or tightness thanks to the wide shoulder adjustment.  The collar is the perfect size and shape and sits really well.  I do wish I had underlined the arms though, maybe with a lighter interfacing or calico (now that I have found out this is what Amercians and pattern instructions mean by muslin, rather than the thin open weave stuff we call muslin in the UK!) as I think the fabric is pretty soft and wrinkles a bit too much.  But It's a minor niggle.  (See, I am totally not mentioning the one wonky buttonhole and the fact that the inside of one of the welt pockets is on backwards).  I am really happy witht he buttons as I agonosied over them for ages before picking these silvery ones from John Lewis.


And another pic just for the terrible faces I was pulling this morning.  I hate weird face days...

I will leave you with the comment received from my sister-in-law - "it's definitely as good as you would get in Primark" (for the benefit of non-UK readers, Primark is a cheap as chips clothing shop where jackets probably cost a maximum of £40).  I think I'll give up now.  Funny thing is, I think she meant it as a compliment!

11 comments:

  1. SOOOO much better than Primark! You've chosen a lovely colour and the fit looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I am pretty pleased with it!

      Delete
    2. I agree, it's stunning on you. Well done

      Delete
  2. That color is FANTASTIC on you!!! I think it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do have an obsession with teal at the moment!

      Delete
  3. This is a really beautiful jacket! I love Colette patterns. I have the lady grey jacket but havent made it yet needing some nice material (also like 5m! eeikk). This one looks really pretty though I might have to buy it. Your so funny about your photos dont worry you look very pretty and great you could show the example wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaww, thanks so much! i love the lady grey coat but i thought with the companion guide Anise would be a better option for my level of sewing! you comment made my day!

      Delete
  4. Well that's just awesome, Anise twin! ^_^ I had to come check it out! lol :) Funny - I was really wanting silver buttons too but I couldn't find just the right ones... glad one of us did! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing! I've not noticed very many Anises yet, so it's fabulous seeing yours - you've done a great job & the colour is stunning ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This is great. Great work on the fit and finish. (just found you from the Tiramisu sewalong)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaww, just realised i have some lovely comments on here - thanks all! sew hopeful - i am really enjoying the tira sewalong! steph is doing a great job and my dress is looking pretty good i think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!