Thursday 10 January 2013

All about the knitting

As I mentioned in a previous post, I started knitting for the first time in ages to have a portable project to take away over Christmas.  It seems that I can't just sit still with nothing to do any more!

Kerry Kestrel put me on to Kate Davies designs after seeing her lovely Manu Very Scottish Cardigan and I totally fell in love with the Deco cardigan.


I love the texture of the pattern and the way the design shapes towards the waist is so flattering (you can see it better here)!


Although I have been knitting since I was about 7, and have made loads of toys, doll's clothes, baby/ child clothes and blankets, I don't think I have ever sewn an adult garment!  So I plunged into the world of tension squares (another first!).  After trying out a heavy 4 ply, I came to the conclusion that I needed a heavier wool to compensate for my tight knitting, and chose:


Rowan Felted tweed DK in Maritime.  I actually chose it to go with some buttons I bought from the market in Brighton.  I always find it so hard to choose buttons at the end of a project, so this way I know the buttons will work!

The pattern is for 3mm needles but I am using 3 1/4 mm to get the right guage.

I'm learning loads with this pattern - there's not nearly so much shaping in kids' garments!  More about that in a future post. 

But trying to get on with this and the Tira sewalong is proving tough.  Maybe I'll hold on the knitting for a week.  I had plans to take the knitting on the train with me, which was great when it was tiny, but with a cardigan knitted all in one piece, it becomes a bit bulky when you are half way down the sleeve!


2 comments:

  1. I think your Deco will be lovely - I really like that pattern too. Kate's designs are so classic and lovely and she makes them interesting to knit too. Look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks kerry! it is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!