Wednesday 19 March 2014

Minerva Blogger Network - the almost-Anna dress



Ooh yes, and new hair too!

As the title suggests, I ordered this fabric intending it to become another Anna dress.  Then the By Hand London ladies released the Flora pattern and I fell for it hard.  I ordered it that day and crossed my fingers that it would arrive in time.



I loved the fabric as soon as I saw it and started thinking about what I could make from it – one of those rare occasions for me when I pick the pattern for the fabric instead of the other way around!  It’s a smooth and silky lightweight cotton lawn with an fan print.  There are a number of different colourways but I loved the grey-blue of this blue and orange one.  It’s lovely to work with – light but not see through. 





This is a really straightforward pattern with nothing too tricky so it would be a great first dress for a beginner.  It does use an invisible zip but the instructions are pretty clear on inserting that.

I did my usual FBA and added 1” about the bust.  I also lengthened the straps by 2” and the bodice length by ½” at the bottom.  Looking at the wrinkles on the back, I perhaps lengthened a bit too much so I’ll leave that out for the next version.  I increased the length of the skirt by cutting the longest length plus 1” – this meant that the front piece was too wide to fit on the folded fabric (you definitely need 60” wide for this).  So I folded a piece out of the side seams (leaving the waist intact) so that I could fit it on the fabric – it’s a full skirt with extra pleats so it still works fine!  I had enough fabric to cut the 2 back skirt pieces in a single layer so could use the full width.  The bodice is lined and as I was a bit worried about the print showing through I used some white lawn I had in the stash.


As ever the By Hand London instructions are really clear.  The only issue I had was getting confused between which version I was making when attaching and finishing the lining as the two are completely different - totally user error and not the fault of the pattern.  I realised after I had overlocked the back and waist seams that I wasn’t supposed to catch the lining in there, but I decided not to unpick all that overlocking even though it would have given a neater finish on the inside (lazy me!)


The only problem with this dress is that it’s a bit too summery to wear quite yet.  But I haven’t given up hope of some more sunny weather to come very soon!  I was aiming for a Lizzy-esque barefoot pic (it's in no way because I was too lazy to dig out summery shoes to go with this dress!) but my pasty legs and back garden really aren't a patch on an Aussie beach!



If you want to make your own version (with 3m of fabric so it would work for an Anna or Emery too) you can buy a kit from Minerva here.  It also includes an invisible zip and matching thread.


14 comments:

  1. Seriously cute dress.Thats great choice of fabric too. I bought Flora and I have no idea what fabric to use. I also wish I had an Aussie beach to photograph a la Lizzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks stevie. this fabric is really lovely to work with. and yes to the aussie beach!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dress and new hair! Fingers crossed for some lovely summery weather soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks amy! i have everything well and truly crossed!

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress and lovely new hair too. I've seen many, many versions of Flora already, and this is one of the loveliest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sam. there have been a lovely lot of floras around and i have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more as we get into the summer!

      Delete
  4. Love the dress and new hair. It's so different, and really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - i am loving the new hair - it's so easy!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I'm so in love with this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. wax print wrap version is up after i finish my mad men dress! all about the dresses at the moment!

      Delete
  6. Seriously cute. I want to make this now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really lovely! I love the fabric. It looks really nice on you! :)

    I've been dying for this pattern, but with the cost of shipping, I couldn't convince myself to buy it. BUT! I did find a stockist in the US. I'm just currently waiting for them to receive their shipment. I can't wait to make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kathy! it's a great pattern. i have prewashed my fabric for the wrap version already. can't wait to see yours!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!